Monday, April 10, 2006

Media slant

Today I am reminded why I usually avoid reading or watching the news. A focus on violence, no good news reported, and political skewing. After just reading the headlines, I see why my grandmother is afraid to leave her house. If my only link to the world around me was mainstream media, I too would be terrified.

from today's headlines:

Flaming car rolls up to hospital ER

Man hit with nearly 200 sex-related charges

Cop involved in apparent murder-suicide

Two cars strike man pushing lawnmower

Girl killed by Israeli shells, sources say

'120 killed' as boat capsizes in Ghana

Murders of Eight in Canada Gang-Related, Cops Say

Lawyer: No DNA Match in Duke Gang Rape Case

At Least 27 Killed in Explosion at Chinese Hospital

all these are from today's Cnn.com and foxnews.com


Both Neil Cavuto and John Gibson, of foxnews.com have written very good articles wondering why all the news we see is bad. Mr. Cavuto actually acknowledged that the catch phrase in the news industry is "If it bleeds it leads."

Money is made keeping people afraid and tuned in.

No comments: