Sunday, July 23, 2006

Growing up

Realized this weekend that I have matured mentally, a truly freighting prospect. I came to this conclusion in how I handled a situation while in a bar this weekend.
I was chatting with a girl I know, she had just gotten back from vacation. I admit that I like this person, but until now she has had a significant other. Personally I find it to be a bit crass to try swooping in and hitting on someone newly single.

In walks Pepe Le Pew, swooping down on the newly single girl. All night if I am talking with her, he is there. We go dancing, he is there. As the night wore on, and my consumption of alcohol increased, that urge started to build.

The primal urge to do something quite awful to another person. In my younger Navy drinking days, this is the point where the phrase "Laying down righteous vengeance" would have ensued. Instead a calm collected voice echoed though my head "She knows him, she has said how he is, the choice is her's.". Thus I bid everyone a good night, and ignore the smug look of victory from my foe walked out. I do have to admit that if one word had been said, the mature voice would have gone to the wayside.

It is quite an experience when that mature voice finally takes over. After 31 years on this planet, mine has been becoming more and more persistent. I think Rush said it best "Old enough to know what's right, young enough to choose to ignore it."

1 comment:

ChickyBabe said...

Sometimes the voice was always there, but we choose not to listen. At the moment I'm trying to listen to the child's voice, but it's only whispering.