Wednesday, July 11, 2007

There are no uppercuts in Salsa....

"Forward on the left foot, back on the right. Feel the rhythm."

This mantra repeats in my head, as I try to ape the smooth movements of my teacher. The tempo of the music is contagious.
"OK, man you're doing good. Now remember that your dance partner will be moving with you, so keep the timing. If you loose it, someone is gonna get stepped on."
Part of me is glad that I decided to get some basics before heading to the salsa club, the other side wants to jump right into the mix and learn by doing.

"Forward on the left foot, back on the right. Feel the rhythm."

Concentrating on my feet, my arms are left to their own accord.
"Dude, um... I don't think you're gonna be blocking punches."
Looking down I see my arms have gone into a defensive position, the foot work is similar enough to a martial arts form that muscle memory has taken over. ~sigh~ Now all of me is glad that I got some basics first.


"Forward on the left foot, back on the right. Feel the rhythm. No uppercuts."

The things I do to impress women.

1 comment:

The Exception said...

I am impressed!