Sunday, July 08, 2007

Rose colored glasses...

"How can you support the war? People are dying. I hate war!"
Bright blue eyes burn with the righteousness of a zealot.
"All good people hate war, but at times it is necessary. Trust me when I say that people who have stood and fought hate war more than you will ever understand."
"War is never necessary, too many people are dying."
"What about World War 2 was that necessary? More people died on D-Day, than have died in Iraq. That's just one day."
The righteousness falters for a second, then come bright even brighter.
"Even that one shouldn't have happened, war is never necessary. If I had my way people would just be nice to each other."

Sadly enough I was not talking to a child, this is from a young woman working on her masters in "Socio Economic Design and Construction". Yet another reason that fanatics are dangerous. Truth be known, I wish everyone could just be nice to each other. Alas I don't think human nature allows for that.

1 comment:

The Exception said...

Human nature is such that there would be war and has been war even if we didn't have the military force that we have or the weaponry.

War is never a good answer, but it is often the only answer that is identified.

And violence is seen as the only option to make one's voice heard or achieve a collective goal. (or even the goal of an individual as has been seen throughout history)

This written by a student of conflict/cooperation with emphasis on the conflict aspect.