Monday, March 13, 2006

A perfect moment

Ever have a perfect moment? I don't mean like finding some money, aching a test, or finally seducing Kira Knightly (a man can dream can't he?). I mean a truly once in your lifetime, makes everything in life snap into place, validates your existence type of moment. I look at the people around me every day and realize that most of them have not. They go through life without that one perfect moment, and I don't see how they can without snapping.

I can and hopefully will always remember mine. I keep it inside me and when I need to cope with whatever is about to overwhelm me, I bring it back to my mind and I am at peace. I was on the U.S.S. Leyte Gulf (CG 55) somewhere between Florida and Spain (kinda hard to be precise when all you can see is water). It was Sunday abit before sunrise, unable to sleep I went to the fantail and was sitting enjoying one of the rare moments of solitude you get on ship. We were dead stop and the sea was as smooth as glass, you could not tell where the sky began and the sea stopped. Staring east I watched as the sun slowly rose.

The whole world turned vivid shades of orange, red and magenta with the sun coming over the horizon. It grew from a small scarlet speck until it made a perfect circle with it's reflection in the water. That instance seemed to last a eternity, it was the one perfect moment in my life. Words, at least mine, can't express what happened to me then.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I, too, served aboard the Leyte Gulf (Go Double Nickle!) When were you aboard? I found your blog by accident so an email reply would be the best way to answer. tinpusher1@gmail.com