Sunday, April 27, 2008

Getting too old for this crowd

"So why wasn't she at the wedding?"
"Dunno tried calling her, but her phone is off."
"Well, she went under pretty hard last night."

The temperature of the coffee shop drops.

"I'm sorry what? When I left last night she was going to be following me so she could go to the wedding."
"We kinda forced her to play drinking games."
"Why the hell would you do that?"

The question is soft, but has the stopping power of a train.
"We needed someone to do the trivia challenges."
"You had eight people at the table, and she did them all?"

The edge in my voice seems to be noticeable enough that the non English speaking people in the coffee shop are edging away from my table.

"Umm... Yeah well, we didn't want to be shot for the wedding, and I didn't want my sister and her boyfriend to do it."

"I see... so instead you make her do them all. The same girl who was trying to stay away from all the drinking. Good looking out for your friend there."

This really bothers me, the fact that it happened and the fact that I seem to be the only one bothered by it.

1 comment:

The Exception said...

This is sad... why don't people respect the wishes of others and, especially, their friends! It would have bothered me too.