Sunday, January 13, 2008

Trust

One of the hangups from my sailor days is trust. When you are in the middle of the ocean, the only people who can help you are the people next to you. You may hate the guy you're working with, but you know when push comes to shove he'll have your back and you'll have his. That is why crews are so tight, these are the people who keep you alive. At sea these are the men and women who stand with you against the sea, and in port are the ones who get you back to the ship safely. They do it for you, and you do it for them.

People trust me here because they know I will not betray that trust. Lately had a friend here who has broken that trust, not just with me but with other people in our circle. He has apologized and seems sincere, but he has time and time again proven to be duplicitous. Can't tell if it's really him, or just another mind game. If I can't trust you, I have no use for you.

Trust is very strange thing, it can be freely given but once broken is very hard to regain.

1 comment:

The Exception said...

Trust is key. I am not sure how peple survive without it, but they do. They build relationships and homes and families and even governments... without trust.

And yet, it is one of the basic building blocks of who I am. Without trust... there is no point in trying to build anything with another person. Trust is key.