Sunday, January 06, 2008

Angels and demons

"Come on, show me what you got." The jeer hits home, it's been a long night I'm tired and more than a little angry. The coldness takes hold, it's been a long time in coming and I owe him this in spades. The world around me slows down, senses dulled by fatigue burst into high definition, muscles rejuvenate as adrenalin hits them. Our eyes lock, I see the overconfident swagger change to fear. In that instant he knows he went too far, and God help me, I want to prove him right. Winter blue eyes flash in my mind, she would be disappointed. She would understand, he has caused hurt to myself and those close to me, but she would be disappointed. She always thinks higher of me than I am, I have no wish to prove her wrong. A thousand miles away and she still holds sway. I stay my hand, turn and walk away. The world returns to normal speed, I smirk up to the night sky "Thanks dove, looks like you saved me again.".

Angels appear but once, but what they leave behind lasts.

1 comment:

The Exception said...

Your last statement is beautiful and true. Though they are fleeting, their impact resounds.