Thursday, November 20, 2008

Apologetic for being an American?

"Americans can actually go to dinner parties and cocktail receptions around the world today and not have to apologize for the United States the way they have had to do the last several years. The election has made life a little bit easier for Americans living and traveling abroad to hold their head up high again." -John Quelch, the senior associate dean at Harvard Business School.

Apologize for the United States? This bit really sticks in my craw. I have attended many dinner and cocktail parties around the world, never have I nor would I apologize for the United States. Does my country do things I disagree with? Yep. Would I ever apologize for my country or for being an American? Not a chance in hell, nor dose anyone that knows me expect me to.

1 comment:

The Exception said...

I have never quite understood why some feel that they need to apologize for who they are, where they are from, or their personality. We are held accountable for our actions... but that is far different than the country in which we were born.