Monday, June 25, 2007

Can't sleep...

I lay in bed, the night beckoning me with the promise of repose. My mind races with the thoughts of the day, the harsh red LED of my clock displays 10:30. I close my eyes and try to quell the flow of thoughts to no avail. Words and images flash across the back of my eyelids. I toss and turn trying to find a comfortable position, with a sigh I get up and have a drink of water.
Returning to the my bed, scarlet numbers glare at me 02:00. I try again to slumber, almost immediately my mind is flooded. Guess there is no choice, time to try the place. Under the accusing 04:00 I create the flame in my mind, and let it all burn away. With all the thoughts gone and the flame extinguished I start to fade. The world becomes soft and begins to s.l..i...p a...w.a....y....


CRACK!!!


The world snaps into sharp focus, every sense dials in at the sudden sound. Muscles tense and prepare to move. The glue holding one of my mounted photos to the wall has let go allowing a Hong Kong Skyscraper to crash into my floor. 04:15 dances before me mockingly. The rest of the night passes in reverie. Never fully asleep and not quite awake, the false sleep of wakefulness.
The blaring crescendo of my alarm clock is no surprise, 0600 beams at me triumphant. It's gonna be a long Monday.

1 comment:

Mia said...

A little spooky, I too was woken by a crash at 4am