Sunday, November 04, 2007

Unbowed

Muscles burn with fatigue, hearts race, lungs threaten to burst. Like kittens at play the two figures roll and tumble across the floor. The smaller of the two alternates between attack and escape, the larger seeking to restrain and entrap. The smaller fights with the speed and raw instinct. The larger moves in the calm methodical manner of experience. Both are grinning.
The exchange continues, the fondue, wine, and other guests all but forgotten. Finally a mistake is made, the smaller tries to overpower the larger. Limbs are entangled, and the smaller finds herself trapped and the air slowly squeezed from her lungs. It's over.

I lay on the floor panting, her head on my chest. I can feel her heart pounding as the adrenaline is washed from her body. One of the other guests peeks around the corner shyly, seeing the trashed bedroom. "Ummm... you two ok?" I smirk "Never better.". Her head raises and she looks at him "Yeah, he kicked my ass, but I never gave in. The bastard knows he was in a fight." "Aye dove, we'll make a fighter of you yet."

No comments: